Old Moore County Public Library
The Moore County Public Library was opened in June of 1953 in the small building at the home of Mrs. Hugh Smith on Poplar Street. The small building that was 20 X 20 feet had functioned as a grocery store and had been moved to the site.
In 1954 circulation was 2,458 books and 333 borrowers. The books on the shelves averaged 900 and were regularly rotated by the bookmobile. The book mobile visited 2 rural stations at Hurdlow and Hurricane. The librarian was paid $40.00 a month and the library rented for $10.00 a month and the electricity for heat and lights on the coldest month was $9.00.
The library was moved to the County Building in April of 1958. A new building was constructed at the corner of Mechanic Street and Majors Boulevard in 1963. It contained 3,400 square feet and was a gift of Reagor and Jeannie Motlow. The furnishings were given by Reagor and Jeannie Motlow and friends. For many years Mr. Motlow rented an office in the building to help provide operating funds.
Reagor Motlow Jennie Motlow
It was dedicated December 15, 1963 and Governor Frank Clement was present. The library owned more than 1,200 books, and had many loaned books. It had additional space for 20,000 to 40,000 volumes. There was parking space for 30 cars. The site was selected because it was close to town and the elementary school children could reach it without crossing a street. A new 1400 square foot children’s addition was added in 1987.
Moore County Library 2007
There have only been five librarians since the library was opened through 2004: “Miss Jim” Osborne, Mrs. Dona Barton, Betty Robertson, Sara Hope, and Peggy Gold.
Information taken from The Moore County Heritage Book.